Saturday, January 29, 2011

I've decided.

I really enjoy writing personal essays.

I'd never given creative writing a go before this semester. I'm enrolled in advanced creative writing and we've been reading tons of "creative nonfiction" (basically essays of the personal experience type). I really like this genre. I love literature don't get me wrong, but I find it so much easier to relate and discover with this genre.

I wrote my first ever piece of non-academic writing (if you don't count my rants on this blog) and I loved it. I wrote about what it was like to be type-cast as the bitch in high school both on and off stage. I brought a really strong theater element into it and tried to make it fun to read.

I had such a good time with the assignment. I was really nervous because our entire class is reading each other's essays so I wasn't sure how people would react but I was so pleasantly surprised that most people loved it. I'm so freaking glad haha. I was kinda freakin out about it. I think there are definitely things I need to work on with it but I actually feel like I'm gonna continue with this assignment and play around with it for a while rather than just getting a grade and leaving it.


I want to write more!! I'm thinking about writing an essay on the impact my siblings have had on my life.

No comments: